Thursday, August 28, 2008

PreGlue

This shows the table on its little glue stand offs just before coming apart one more time to have glue applied. It only needed a bit of 5mm plywood to bring the top edges of the two units to be parallel. I just screwed the stands down on to the bench directly in the end.
The final clamp up had these two pony clamps and two over the top in the same lateral orientation. The little ledges on the corners got clamps applied to hold the table flat down on the stands and then I knocked a few little wedges between the pipes of the clamps underneath and the underside of the table to compensate for the end stiles getting twisted downward.
The three disks I use for finishing are still on the bench along with the speed controller I use to keep the grinder from getting over excited. The blue pad in the grinder is the middle step, the final one being a felt buffing disk that brings out a nice natural gloss.
I cut a few U shaped divots in the stands to give room for the clamps, I will cut a few more, then maybe these stands can go somewhere on the wall or even on the ceiling as clamp racks when they are not in use.
The scraps of glue leftover were still wet and white on the board when I came up, I hope they will have dried out a bit more tomorrow, with the humidity from constant rain I think I had better leave the table in traction for at least a day or two to let the glue set good and solid.