Monday, October 20, 2008

Benchtable

The now familiar workbench supporting the dusty low table this evening. Rather than worry over my butterfly tendency with work I have decided I might as well embrace it. I skipped between the sanding on the table and cutting an Aluminum door to size for the shop extension. I got a double door set from the local hall when it was demolished and I had intended to use them as they were, but that would have meant a weak set up with the pillars I was installing under beams, so I opted to slim them down width wise. They both have a big pane of 7mm thick glass in them and I had intended to cut each by 5.5cm to fit my door gap. I always seem to mess up this thick glass cutting, I guess I am too tentative. Anyway, sure enough the first cut messed up vearing off into the pane right at the end. I vented the mild frustration tossing chips of glass into a bin and wondering over the irreversible nature of time and whether I had another 6x3foot piece of glass. Then I thought I might as well check if I could change plan and just cut the one door down by 11cm and abandon the irrelevance of symmetry. The new plan would mean I could have another try cutting off another 5.5cm from the side and leave just a tiny corner of the failed cut and that would disappear in the door rebate. So I took a deep breath and immediately set too on another cut and this time the cut just veared away from true at the end away from the pane leaving a little tooth on the end, so I was able to snap off the remainder with pliers. If anybody has any tips on making long cuts in thick glass, do tell.
I decided to practice a little and tried cutting the offcut strips down their length, theoretically slightly more difficult, but of course as these were only test cuts they went fine with no vearing at all.
Once I had the aluminium frame cut to size I put it all back together and then went back to the sanding on the bench after lunch. Having to tidy that up for glass cutting meant I could get the table up onto it and so the day ended with some more dust making.