Friday, March 06, 2009

Sunk home

I got side tracked in the afternoon, but I also got within a whisker on the joints I am working on. This will be the upper surface of the seat. The dark brown patches are the remainder of joints in the reclaimed timber. They will disappear once I carve the seat out. To get the best out of the grain on the ends they had to go on top despite the underside being a better looker, so I took a while to decide on cutting that piece in half for this use.
All the shaping will be done after gluing.
On the wall at the back there is a little circular object with six casters on. I slip that in under big lumps like this to rotate them around if I need to. Lift up one end, chuck that under somewhere near the middle and then take out the pillow pieces under the work and spin away. You could even stick a piece of string on there to pull it out by if the object is a big weight. It saves calling for help or doing lots of maneuvering. A couple more hours work should see me on to gluing with any luck. It is a bit like that philosophy question about objects forever getting half as close to each other and never touching. The joint gaps have to be as close as possible, but they will never be perfect.