Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Plans

My next project is to construct a roof for a wood carving made several years ago. This is showing signs of exposure, so a timely reprieve from the rigors of nature. My original plan was only to put a roof over the piece but now I have decided to make it more of a traditional gate that marks the path up to the "waterfalls" that are the foundation for the legend the sculpture loosely depicts. The sketch onto a printout gives an idea of where my thoughts are going. The structure below will support some cypress logs I hope to acquire tomorrow. They still have their bark on, so they will need a lot of work to get them in shape to form the pillars of the gate. I should be able to roll them over each other on this structure and joint them up here as well. I aim to keep them fairly natural, but I may shape the bases a little. They don't yet know what they are in for, happily sleeping out in the torrential rain at the dam yard for driftwood gradually decaying into the earth, little did they know that the casual visitor of yesterday would be back to pull them out of the carbon cycle for some years and put them to work. Hope all goes well with their retrieval tomorrow.