Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Backs



The wider of the two planks I cut was about 53cm and that was about what I wanted for the seats. That would be the length of the flat side at the top in this picture. I misjudged the center a little so the loops of annual rings were off to one side as you might be able to asses from the shot. This is the remnant from the end of the log that I then cut two slabs from about 12cm thick for the backs. The fact that the two seat pieces when cut from the plank would have a left right asymmetry put me in mind of the fact that my daughter is right handed while my son is left handed. This was then reinforced by the two whorls of a fork in the young tree off to the right in the picture. I changed my plan a little and made one side of each back into a rounded pad to rest a cup on.

These are the two back rests I cut from the slabs, I think the cup rest should go on the other side from the preferred hand, but I guess they can swap seats if the reverse proves to be more comfortable.