Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I think if I were still at primary school, today would have been one of those days when I just drew a pattern. The brain box is not too hot. Yesterday and today I have been making tools for the fire with spiral handles. Iron is not a good heat conductor, so the spirals make the handle stay cooler and give a bigger grip for little extra weight. These were my first two goes at this technique. Kind of grahically portrayed in the little heiroglyphs. In the drawing I am just doing the last bit, pulling the spiral out from the two flat scrolls wound on top of each other drawn in the diagram. As with all round or 3D work, when it is fixed in a vice or too big to move around, you need to make a point of shifting yourself about to see it from different view points to check you have the form you want, so I am kind of crouching down to see from the side as I tweak the hot iron with a pair of grips.