Saturday, August 30, 2008

Glue hour

I found that it took almost exactly one hour to disassemble and glue up the other table.
One practical thing from my gluing activity today as I removed the first table from the hospital clamps and inserted the other. I buy PVA glue in bags and transfer it to one of those wine box bags with a rubber cap that has a little pull up tab stopper. The glue does not stick to the rubber at all, so the spout is easily unblocked even when glue dries in it and the bags are very durable with a double layer structure. What a shame the manufacturers don't make a glue bottle with a spout made of the same type of rubber.
After clamping up table two I had another go on skype and then remembered I wanted to try out something I had read about.
We have a DVD machine that stopped responding to its remote control ages ago and I read that digital cameras can see the infra red light of these devices, so they can be checked for functionality with a quick test looking through the view finder or even through a web camera. Sure enough, the remote control failed to produce a gleam when its buttons were pushed while viewed through the camera and I was able to replace the infra red LED with one I scrounged out of a deceased controller. Incidentally, the D in LED stands for diode and diodes need to be wired properly, if you look at the LED and you can see the inside, the big fat part with the blob of light sitting in it is the negative or ground side.