Friday, January 02, 2009

Low water


We are enjoying a long spell of sunny days, but this has made the watercourses run very low. The stream below the house is not yet running below its bed, but the spring we drink from has now shrunk to a trickle and is no longer strong enough to feed the pond. The water in there got so low I had to divert the spring with a hose to save the fish and their brethren from freezing during the night. On a recent job I acquired one of those siphon starter pumps that you rotate with a drill. That saves a lot of coughing and spitting. Thumb at the ready to stick over the end of the hose and poke it down into the water.
Yesterday I made my first ever donation to support Internet radio. I am a frequent listener to the podcast of This American Life. It often gives me information that backs up my feelings of optimism and hope for at least some part of the human race. "What price that?" you may ask. "Ten dollars from the family coffers", I reply and what a bargain it is, too.