Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas cat

I couldn't get started properly with making some kind of little gift yesterday morning, but I had a fresh start in the afternoon and decided on a simpler plan. Not really enough time to refamiliarize myself with the tippy tappy tools, but this should serve if I can find some kind of cord to turn it into a necklace. I did a bit of finishing today and welded on a little eye at the top. that meant some welder maintenance as it was very tiny, then on to a bit of solsticial cleaning.
I am hoping the little creature will be taken for a domestic cat, not anything more exotic. I suppose a little more practice would have allowed me to give the thing markings like our tomster, but there we are. Perhaps for the next gift giving opportunity.
Methodology wise, I was smart enough to leave a big tab of metal extending from the forefoot to allow me to grip the thing and also made the tail separately to save on cutting out complex shapes and wasting metal. That is also welded on, stainless is quite kind when it comes to welding and flows fairly happily.