Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tidier

A day of tidying up to make a bit more space available around the workbench and the sink for sharpening tools. I also did a bit of much needed maintenance on the motor for the big belt sander. Just a carbon brush problem in the end thank goodness. I was having to jiggle it about every time I wanted it to turn on. It is a very old motor with a slider that allows one to set it to turn in either direction at start up. the slider carries the two brushes and one of them had stiffened up inits housing. Still lots of wear left in them yet.
Still stacks of timber all over the shop as I have more choices to make and the wood for the next project is also gradually piling up. I tend to keep each piece homogenous to one species. If not, then at least using timber similar in appearance and qualities. Perhaps one day I will try mixing things up with woods of contrasting properties, but at present the prospect does not seem inviting.