Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wind up

I got straight over to the local garage and begged for a couple of window winder motors. I expected to be digging around in vehicles to pull them out, but one was on the top of a junk pile and the other was taken from a door right next to the junk pile. I am always amazed by how much stuff there is to be had in the world when it opens up and makes things easy for a change.
So after examining the thing for a bit I decided to abandon my jack head on the top and go with the ratchet mechanism from the winder as seen below. It required a few additions to the bracket and some other mental adjustments. I tried it out with a lead weight strapped on and it shifted the thing no problem, so I hope it will prove strong enough to move the panel OK.
I think Monday was my lowest point so far on this project. I remember leaving the wood stove for several months before finally getting it connected up. All these things seem stupid at the time, but the stove is now an established part of the home, so hopefully this weird object will be too one day. Anyway, I am grateful to the chap at the mechanics who let me walk away with these bits gratis.





Labels: