Saturday, February 20, 2010

Small lost foam castings

Playing catchup. The next few days are just one day of activity, but the week has been concerned with these little fish. I decided to document the process in the presumption that it would all work out OK.
I made a little note sketch of the fish as shown. Carved some basic shapes out of a fairly dense form of polystyrene with a little craft knife. Not too much detail as they may not work out. Then made some L shaped pieces of the same poly to stick on as feeders for the copper pour.
There are pebble type things like the object here that wash up at the local dam. I think they are some kind of light man made wall material. I used a hole saw with the central drill taken out make the circular slit in the block that you can see here. Just twisting by hand as the stuff is very soft. Then I chipped out the material within the slit to make a hollow like a bowl and used a rasp to make a spout to the edge.