Thursday, April 22, 2010

Strange inheritance

Making and fitting some little scissor hinges and other hardware for the window. I thought I could use a couple of small piano hinge type things, but realized they would become inaccessible for attachment with the design I have made. Aside from that little change the scribbled sketch notes at the start of the week have now materialized into a unit that looks like it will work.
A one time client who was himself a carpenter died recently and I have had several excursions round to his residence which is crammed with all sorts of odds and ends. Mainly there to tidy up taking away some of the hoard of timber offcuts to burn. The window is actually made from one of them, but most are the kind of composite material I don't use much. The other week I went on a more extensive tour of the ruins with his widow and we came across a great load of little oddment boxes full of all kinds of hardware in the form of screws and whatnot. I am keeping some of them under the sink for now until I learn what they live on. I needed some tiny stainless steel screws to attach the hardware and what with the frame filling the room on the bench making it hard to get in and out of that corner of the forest I just crawled about down among them in search of something suitable. One of them coughed up a nice little box of blackened things just the right size.