Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Glue sprite

The door glue up was my main task of the day, I could feel a sprite about the place and wondered when it would bite. I put one of the little panels in the wrong way round and had to pry the thing apart half way through the glue up. Lucky I was on my guard to keep checking at each phase, shame I didn't spot the error before it went into place. Silly mistake, but no damage done. I wanted the more attractive grain on the panel to face out and it was on the inside. I have one quick clamp that can be easily reversed into a spreading device and that made short work of pulling the tenons out of their burrows one last time.
I used to do glue up work on the flat, but for some time now I have worked with one stile in the vice so that the door stands on its edge while parts are added. This gives access to both sides for applying clamps and wiping off excess glue. Once the clean up was complete I got Sammy to give me a hand lifting the door over to lie flat on the bench with battens under it to hold it flat and let it cure up in a true plane. The weight of all the clamps was sufficient to hold it down solidly against the blanket covering the battens to keep it from scratching anywhere.