Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stainframe

Back to metal work for the next few days, I found an old fish storage tank on a trip to the dam stock yard for firewood. It should have sunk being just a stainless steel frame and a galvanized iron tank, but there were a few bits of polystyrene in it and they held it up to be salvaged.
I wasn't sure what I would use it for, but I am always attracted to stainless steel for its permanence. In the end the finishing of the zelkova wood for the small frame and the idea of using the frame of the tank combined in the subconscious and I had the idea of using it for a mail box that I had been worrying about. The frame will form a blackened framework for wood panels with the lacquer finish of the picture frame a bit like traditional Japanese Tansu.
The first job was cutting up the frame into suitably sized sections.