Saturday, March 26, 2011

Terracing


The current project up to the beginning of the week. I have had to stop work on the main section of my extension and focus on the area where my roof joins the main building. This junction was not well handled by past artists so I am having my own go at creating a weatherproof joint. At top right you can see a steel fence arrangement with a cross shape. The bulk of that has now gone and I have made a cut into the entire frontage of the concrete and tile veranda into which I will pour a new sill with a lead flashing embedded into it. This will spill any rain onto my roof and thence harmlessly onward. I am also constructing a roof over the small veranda to keep most of the rain from getting to the surface. If you look in past the curved bones of my new frontage you can see the existing set of glass doors, which will eventually be ripped out to give way to a new aluminum sash that will run most of the width of my new bit. I was standing on the terrace when the recent big earthquake hit, and as I said I thought at first that it was the force of the wind on my cover tarp hoisting the whole deck skyward.
I found that I had some really unreliable panorama software from canon and after searching for a substitute found ICE from microsoft, which proved to be very easy to get going. I reduced the image to 20% for the blog, but perhaps once the work has progressed I might put up some more detailed pans. The frontage of my new roof section is about 8.6 meters and the height to the fish bones of the new roof about 2.6 meters. In Forefox click on the picture to zoom in and then click again to zoom more.