Friday, August 24, 2007

Nearly there


Doors 1,2 and 3 got themselves sorted out, but number 4 is still waiting to have its panels trimmed. I ran out of steam at around 7pm and the workshop is frozen in this position until tomorrow. I suddenly lost confidence in my height measurement today and had to call the site to confirm that I hadn't made everything too short, but it was OK. We often use the oxypropane burner, but these doors are a bit small for that, so they were all scorched with the little gas burner standing on the bench at the back. The frames were put up together to be scorched so that the joints don't get shrunk too much. Then they were taken apart one by one and had the little white patches round the joint area gently scorched to change the color, then they were all wire brushed while in pieces so that it is easier to follow the grain with the brush. Then reassembled with their panels for a final fitting. It was when I realized I hadn't done any size adjusting for the last set of panels that I ran out of oompf for the evening and left it for the nonce. Anyway, we are well on track for completion in short shrift.