Monday, July 21, 2008

Lost

Well, I lost the battle with the heat this evening. I have been down in the shop digging out a load of bits of metal and old scrap stuff that has accumulated over the years here. I still can't force myself to throw away most of the old water pipes and fittings, but many an item has been bagged up for the recycling route and the area looks more serviceable. The evening cool saw me dusting off the chainsaw to cut down a barely living old plum tree in front of my shop. It has a wonderful crop of lichens and epiphytes, but as a tree it is almost a non starter. Certainly not producing fruit any more and barely managing to produce leaves. I will make it comfortable down in the corner of the field where the lichens may continue their life and the ants and other animals can continue to use it as a home.