Friday, July 11, 2008

Job done


Sammy had a bit of extra time before he had to catch the train into Tokyo today, so we did our manhandling and got the pole up before he set off. My brother was kind enough to point out that there wasn't really sufficient information to seriously consider a solution to the problem of how to get to this point without injury or property damage. I will put a little drawing of Sammy and I at work tomorrow even if some more exciting theme comes along. All I can say is that the pole is too heavy to be holding in any uncomfortable position long enough to allow the insertion of bolts and whatnot. I think it would have been just about dooable to have one person on the blue roof holding the pole while the other struggled on the ladder below, but it wouldn't be an attractive prospect even if the pole was tied off in some way to prevent any slippery fingers doing damage to the population figures.
I think the pole must be 3.5m long, I do know it is 9cm in diameter. Fortunately the electric pole we are connecting to is not that one in the distance, but one much nearer. It does seem a bit of a waste not to stick a windmill or something on top.