Sunday, April 05, 2009

Meeting and not meeting


I had a meeting to attend in the morning, which went by very pleasantly. This was in the town where my son was born, down by the sea. I have a couple of aquaintances that live there, so I filled the afternoon traveling along a little tram like railway and dropping in on their homes. No one there, but the weather was lovely and it was not too crowded despite the cherry blossom season sunday atmosphere. I finished up the trip with a little stroll along the beach where I used to go for morning walks when we lived in the area. They had reinforced the sea wall that holds up the coast road with some kind of plastic stuff.  Somehow inspired this wonderful littlegroup of plant sprouting out of one of the drains did a very good job of balancing itself into an almost unaturally well designed arrangement. The beach lies to right and left, the sea with a mild scattering of surfers lies behind us.
One of the acquaintances I missed is a furniture maker, he had said a long time ago that he was interested in getting hold of some shells to do mother of pearl work with, so I left a shell outside his front door with a little message in simple script, which is the poor extent of my Japanese writing ability.