Monday, February 22, 2010

Foam Casting Poured

Here is the scene immediately after pouring. The copper still glowing in the sand and the little gas escape hole visible to the right of it in the flower pot. I think the steam and fumes are visible here, so you can see that the hole is not entirely essential, but it does help things along as the copper starts to freeze as soon as it has left the pot. I poured the excess on the little refractory tile I heated the stuff up on. That too is still glowing as is the slag at the bottom of the pot. The material insulates so effectively that a simple leather glove gives sufficient protection to pick up the block by the sides in one hand and pour directly. I just heat the copper to melt it with the largest head on my oxypropane torch. Old copper cable and scraps of sheet copper from other projects.