Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wet and Dry


I washed the thing with vinegar and applied a sparse coating of salt. I left it overnight in a covered plastic box with some of my liquid byproduct in the bottom. The color is not really adhering to the surface, so I cannot guarantee permanence. I suspect a solid wiping after rain would remove most of it, but if left untouched it should gradually develop its own more natural patina.
The snotty side for reference below. The brass is about 3mm thick I think. Cut out at center to allow for the backset area with lettering. The nuts are brazed on and will be bolted from the inside of three small C shaped brackets with holes on the front and back arms of the C. The opposite arm of the C will be screwed into the block wall. I think I had better have a practice session at this operation, but no need to do it in the NASA water tank or anything. I shall try to use gravity to my advantage. I will end the week tomorrow with a photo of the tools used and the brackets.