Friday, October 01, 2010

Arcs

Falling behind. I have been busy at the job site down the road for the past couple of weeks. A simple set of tasks cladding walls with cedar planks and building a few sets of shelves as well as organizing a little storage area with a weird shape. At the end of last week we had some torrential rain that drew attention to some problems with the roof of the area I was working on, so another job was added to the itinerary. Since then the weather has been poor, so I have redirected back to the larger roof project as I can pop in and out of the house to work under my flysheet as the weather clears or worsens. Feeling a little bit like Noah working among these large timbers. The three timbers spanning the roof are now jointed in giving the catamaran shape here. I have cut the series of 44 curved rafter parts for the roof. The ridge pole was another area completed. I suppose the curvy shapes are part of the reason for the feeling of kinship with the biblical boat builder, the structure of a boat hull would be similar, but inverted of course. The fairly incessant rain is the other major factor.
In the center there is a set of four timbers that will support the purlins and the ridge along with two similar sets at either end. I wanted to see that in place to decide whether to add any decorative features to the end parts. I sense that this need to see things in place is amateurish, but I am always ready to respond to what I have made and playing with ones food can be a source of inspiration. I did find it too much of a waste to classify some of the arc shaped offcuts from the rafters as firewood, but so far in playing with them I can not tell what it is my subconscious wants to use them for.
I found a source for the asphalt shingles I wanted for the roof. That ended up being in Hokkaido. It was cheaper to buy from there than to order from a separate source a couple of prefectures away. The shingles themselves were unfortunately shipped in all the way from America. A far cry from Sammy's experiences on the farm with food leaving a short trail of tiny carbon footprints.