Sunday, April 22, 2012

Indoors




Started the day with arranging foundations for the dome. Sammy started on painting the panels and got three done before rain stopped play at lunch. With the spring wet outside I decided to have a go at mating up the two remaining unpainted panels in the shop. I wanted to asses the viability of the panels and measurements from the acidome site for the extended half hexagons, which fill the gap at the bottom center here. They were actually right by the look of it. The site gives a detailed set of measurements for the dome with all the angles and strut lengths with a style of joint that google translate calls "Cone" but those leave a wavy base line and selecting the "align base" option gives an error message. So I compromised by inputting the same dimensions for a hub based design, which would allow for calculating extended parts to flatten or "align" the base. I input zero as the diameter of the hub part and used the lengths given to estimate the length of the relevant parts. I didn't have total faith, so left them a little long with one angle left uncut, so that I could do this kind of mockup and measure the actual result. I was hoping the trial assembly would happen outside, but the weather didn't permit.
The tannin based paint we are using is called kakishibu. Mixing in a little russet colored earth gives it an immediate color, but it also gradually darkens as it ages. I am trying to get away from oil based stains and preservatives as they are harsh on the lungs. In this case we will also be eating the stuff grown in the greenhouse, so I don't want it too poisonous. Sadly the persimmon brew smells a little like horse manure, but I would rather have that than the sting from formaldehyde type stuff.