Friday, October 13, 2006

Change of theme, I saw a deer like this when I was back in England for a brief stay during the summer. I wanted to try and draw that in preparation for a little project.
I have been experimenting with TIG welding different metals, like copper onto iron. And I was trying to think of a good theme for either some relief work or something more sculptural when this deer sprang to mind.
My welding helmet bust a few months back and I have just got a replacement. One of those automatic darkening ones that means you don't have to play peekaboo all the time with the mask to see what you are doing. So I want to try something a little bit more artistic than usual to celebrate the new tool. My son, my brother and self were watching the deer at dusk and it was beautiful how the details of form were all hidden leaving lovely smooth abstract shapes that all faded into eachother, which will hopefully emerge under the welding torch.
I did get on and plaster the walls around those windows today in case you were wondering, but no drawing of that.