Monday, March 12, 2007

Up on a corrugated iron roof with Sammy today. We had to get all the iron off and the rafters as well as a load of sheats of 5mm plywood. It was seriously windy so it was more work than otherwise. We lost a few of the sheets of ply, but a couple of old car wheels helped us keep all the iron in a stack until we could tie it with bands and chuck it off in a lump. The roof is over a scaffolding structure at a local wood yard where they store all the driftwood that gets washed up at the dam.
The guys were there working today. they have an area with iron plates that they take huge scoops of the junk that has floated in and they sort through it all by hand to get out glass, plastic and metals. I think this is the side of green work that a few more politicians should be involved in on a regular basis. The blokes were having trouble keeping their fags lit at the break time, so they had the ends stuck in drink cans like they were supping the stuff up through the cigarettes.
I am absolutely exhausted, having been sand blasted in the sun all day, but realized it would be easier to do a real drawing than get to grips with Artrage later. If you suffer from back pain do a web search for Piriformis stretch and if the pictures look like leg crossing try it. Even one on each side is better than nothing. I feel a lot more human each time I do it and without that and the ham string stretch I feel like I am likely to have to claw my way back up my own legs after my top half falls on the floor having snapped off completely. After a few stretches I am back to normal.
Charcoal on Cartridge 38x53cm