Sunday, May 06, 2007

Door doo


A change of tack for the day. Left is the set up I was describing yesterday. Top right the piece I was making as seen in top section. I make repeated cuts along the timber to remove furrows of material leaving the "leave till last" bit to support the base of the morticer while the rest is removed. On this one I also routed a groove to make a straight curve and took off the corners. I sometimes make the whole edge wavy, so that has to be carved later too. on this one the bulge in the middle will be carved into some swirly shapes later. The three pieces that make up the door jam are now in the clamps downstairs. You really can never have too many clamps. The external facing or trim (bottom rightmost piece) will go on between the final coat of mortar on the house and the painting or rendering.
The left drawing kind of shows the way a sort of arm sticks out from one corner of my bench. I was going to chop it off when I was making the thing, but I had seen pictures of benches with a vice on the corner, so thought it might turn into one of those. It hasn't, but it is odd how useful it is, even just to stand timber and clamps against, but mainly to allow access to the back of a piece to clamp it or whatever. I also used an old panel door for the center of the bench. The panels come out now, so that gives me a lot of variables for clamping and fitting stuff to the bench temporarily. As the project progresses perhaps it will make sense. Anyway, it got too late for any more profound drawing efforts.