Monday, May 28, 2007

T slots

The sofa bound work is still not done, but I escaped down to the shop for a couple of sessions on more manual work. I have a bit for the router that cuts out an inverted T section from the timber. I drill a hole down to the depth I need and plunge the bit to the depth of the hole and then run it laterally to give purchase under the surface for the head of a bolt. There are little metal brackets on the stem of the table and they have holes to engage the bolts. There are two of the special T holes in line down the center of the plank for the table top. If you fix a plank like this across its width so that it cannot expand and contract with the changing seasons it will crack in no time or in the case of zelkova even snap screws or bolts. There is little or no change in size along the length of the timber, so I should be safe enough with this method.