Friday, February 01, 2008

Stool

I got a little peeved at not getting a final vision of the chairs to be, so I skipped off on a slight tangent and finished up a seat for a stool. I must try and get my photographics sorted out. These scorched works look so much nicer in person and actually have a lot more 3D personality too. Anyway the trip up the siding had some effect and I got on with carving out more seat parts in the afternoon. After carving with an Arbortech, the curvy Clifton spokeshave and a Makita 3cm wide belt sander I scorched the wood. I then wire brushed it and used two different grades of scouring pad type disks in the grinder with a speed controller attached to tame the bite on the tool. There is no wax or anything applied yet, but it already has a vague redish patina shining through the darker scorching. That color will gradually increase as it gets "rubbed", it may possibly be worth inserting one more slightly coarser scouring pad into the regimen to give the color more of a headstart.