Thursday, March 13, 2008

Inner tubes

I only got a little bit done in the shop today as I went to have an eye check up in the afternoon.
I was having trouble getting the back of one of the chairs to cooperate and hold itself together while I marked out the remaining tenon holes. I thought of calling in sammy to give me a hand, but realized I could use elastic to hold all the bits into one piece and joined up a few sections cut from bike tire inner tube to make some suspenders to hold all the bits tight in place as a solid lump while I aligned things and made pencil marks for the hole positions. It reminded me of hearing about a Virgin train that had to stop because the wiper blade was falling off. They said they could have done a spot repair with one of those zip ties, but didn't have any. They asked among the passengers and one guy had some, but they were too short. I wondered at the time why nobody thought of joining them together. I know it is easy enough to do as I have been in the same position and used two mated together. Probably just the journalist getting the facts wrong. It was a bit like that with the elastic, I though I would have to wrap a bungee cord round it, but I remembered cutting up the tube and joined the loops of rubber together to make a chain the right length for what I needed.
All OK with the eyes, or at least anything that is wrong is just something I will have to put up with like everybody else.