Monday, March 10, 2008

More mess

More scenes from Tutankhamen's tomb, or at least from an equally jumbly land. I got some holes for leg fitting drilled and more bits on the go. The littlest chair on the right is now upside down on the back bench with its legs trial fitted. The legs go in and then the stretcher parts have to be cut to length and drilled in. Lots of combination angles. The seat standing up on the back bench has the little layout lines for the positions and angles of holes. Front legs at 8" and back at 18". The back leg angle is from the hole position to the center front of the chair seat and the front legs from the hole to a point at the center of a line connecting the front and back holes of the opposite side. I'll try and make a point of taking a picture of the little hole drilling jig I use for either the front of the back. The vice in another pose I use when ripping pieces off of the edge of short planks or routing the edges of things. Everything has to go through several phases of going together and coming to bits before it finally goes together for the last time with glue on.

Nature wise I noticed a strange object on the walk today, I thought it was a dead bird that had been plucked, but it was actually a goshawk frozen atop the bird it had nearly finished eating. It flew off when it realized I was staring at it. I had a good clear view of it, but only with the naked eye. A lovely blueish slate back and clear stripe above the eye.. The rain over night has cheered the frogs and they were very vocal today. They ducked into the mud sharpish when I went to have a peak, but I counted about five rippling exits at different points.