Saturday, March 01, 2008

From Earth to Moon again

Sammy did get a few holes drilled and split off a few lumps of concrete with the wedge and feathers. Unfortunately I got slightly distracted from the chairs today. We had lost track of the pick, I found it, but the handle was no longer worthy of its name having rotted somewhat, so I made up a replacement. I just managed to mark up and make a few more tenon cuts, so at least there was some movement forward on the chair front. Sammy is footling with the guitar now, so I had a quick go at drawing that. I also had him scribbling numbers on scraps of paper while I was waiting to log on for the skype chat. I needed to make sure my calculations of the dollar bill stack of war costs were not completely loopy. I just had a morbid desire to know how many more weeks of expenditure it would take for the mythical tower to connect us to our natural satellite. 39. 8 weeks at a building rate of 1267 km added to the stack every week if we assume the war to have been going for 260 weeks. I don't remember the date it started, but I think it was spring of 2003 as I remember I was working on a local house renovation when the president announced the thing. I would really like to know of one politician anywhere who could be trusted to give peace and hope equal funding.

By the way, having switched to metric, one million dollars weighs one metric ton, so our spindly stack of 3trillion dollars 329466 km high weighs 3million tons I think. Coincidentally the estimated weight of consumer electronic waste for the US in 2003 and the annual surplus of arable crop production in the UK. Statistics I really did not want to have in my mind, but the Internet is very convenient for finding out these little facts.