Saturday, May 03, 2008

Gakufu

Another go at Sammy. Today he heard me talking on Skype about my slow attempts to learn to read music and got out one the sheets of music (gakufu) I had been learning to try for himself. It didn't take him long to get it. The gubbins is still on display while we correct tunings, so there was nowhere to sit the music except on the keys not being used.
We had a wildlife encounter in the morning. My wife gave the guests a lift to the station and they called up midway to say that there was a dead monkey on the road, so I should go and sort it out.
I went in the truck with Sammy having picked up a shovel on the way. When we got to the spot there were a lot of monkeys about and we found that the little chap wasn't dead but just very buggered up by whatever had happened to him. He was lying right in the middle of the road, so after evaluating him as a possible survivor unworthy of the kindest blow from the shovel that I had been prepared to administer I loaded him on the makeshift stretcher and carried him up the road to a safer spot. As I was walking along the muscle bound head honcho of the group came down threateningly to within a few feet. But I stared him down and found myself addressing him in aggressive Japanese tones. He got the message and backed off. He did look intent on administering some major tailoring damage to the trouserings. There wasn't much to do after that but hope for some of the members of the twisted little chaps tribe gathered close in the trees around to come down and keep him company while he emerged from his state of shock or passed his last few moments.