Friday, June 27, 2008

Closeup one

Sorry for the crappy posting failure. I have heard that some people look everyday, so a particular apology to them. I just don't seem to be clicking with this at the moment, perhaps it is the general sense of negativity in the world who can say.
I wanted to do a little series of semi closeups and try to review what I have learnt from the chair project. My main concern in the design was that top rail, which is made from a section cut from a hollow log. The cut was made diagonally, but never the less it is basically a fragile moon of end grain. My hope was that the twisted nature of the Zelkova grain would hold it solid and so far this has been proved correct. A risky little game that may mean future repairs, but well worth the experiment.
A second period of doubt was with the flow of curves from the three verticals into the top rail. I realized that I would not be able to take much wood from the top, due to its already fragile nature. That meant finding some other solution to blending the shapes smoothly. I came up with the creation of a chamfered corner around all the mergers. That can be spread out and contracted to provide edges that grab light and make the eye follow that curve rather than the actual rather sharp clip between the pieces. Most evident here as the right side of the center vertical spreads up and out over to flow back down into the smaller right vertical.