Friday, July 04, 2008

Jiggling

My major effort of the day was shoveling a cubic meter of concrete into place down in the new workshop territory. Good to see the floor in, but it was a very hot day and quite an effort even with a bit of help from the friendly truck driver. The chute worked fine, and that had been my biggest worry for the event. The other worry was the actual amount, I did a rough estimate of volume, which came out a bit more than a cubic meter. In the end I had to add one and a half bags of ready mix mortar and also mixed in a big bag of left over bits of stained glass as aggregate. That brought the level up perfect. I had already chucked in a bag of bits as hard core and an old smashed up toilet cistern. I have forgotten the measurements of the room and never got round to measuring the length of the chute. Tempting to stick loads of stuff in there to clear the shop, but I will endeavor to resist the temptation and plan out the next phase.
This is the last delicate phase jiggling a length of wood across to level things out. I couldn't quite figure out how my shorts got so much concrete on the bum, but now I see why.