Friday, November 07, 2008

Table Insertion

There was a little additional job to tackle with the introduction of the table to its new habitat. The machine for blowing heat under it fitted nicely in the hole I had left for it and all the little bolts worked well. The small table I delivered along with the chairs a few months back had contracted a lot in the dry atmosphere and that had made it a little wobbly. I tightened that up and got it sitting properly again.
On the way back home I made several stops to research prices and whatnot but only made very modest purchases. One stop was a t the wood yard where they were tidying up, so I will go back on Monday and see if there is anything I can do to help by taking stuff home with me.
There were some lovely autumn images by the roadside on my journey home. I had to force my mind into remembering the English word for the bundles of rice stalks left standing to dry in the fields. It took a moment and then the stooks got their name. I wonder if they still have stooks anywhere in the UK. They were backlit and just needed some kind of human presence to make them more definitely a part of a much earlier century.
As I got very near home at around half past four a car slowed to a stop in front of me and I was about to allow my agitation to surface at this poor adherence to the highway code when I saw what had stopped it. There were two wild boar sauntering out of a little market garden in the evening sun. They slowed their saunter and then halted to look up at us with a somewhat quizzical air as if to ask why we had stopped, they simply wanted to get across the road and we were rather rudely blocking the way and compounding the rudeness by staring.
These animals definitely seem to be losing their nocturnal habits.