Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trays


One of the more practical wedding presents we recieved some 23 years ago was a serving tray. At the time we had hopes that it was wood and laquer, but closer inspection showed it to be some kind of bakolite type plastic. Anyway, it met its maker the other day as my daughter dropped it and the blow caused it to crack up too badly for repair. I embarked on making a little replacement today and also on a present for a retiree of our aquaintance. Here are the two birds and the little collection of tools I used on them today. 
The workbench is still occupied with the upper torso of the sofa. The leg gubbins helped me out today as a temporary tressle to work on. I used a plywood template with an oval type hole cut in it to guide the router with a collar stuck in the base plate. That gave me a groove around the circumference to the depth of the bottom of the tray. I then used portions of the plywood offcut from the middle to guide the three grooves across the middle and knocked out one set of turrets with the hammer and chisel. More progress tomorrow.