Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wings

Here is a view from the side. I still have quite a few sheets of the 25mm plywood and I use six of those to protect the stage pallets. The hall managers allow nails, but they won't let us use screws in these. Having the plywood sheets has made things a hell of a lot more flexible for me as nailing all this bamboo was not a fun prospect. The display is up over night, then through rehearsals tomorrow and comes down after the ceremony at around 4pm. Getting it torn down is certainly a lot easier than putting it up. The flats behind the bamboo are offcuts from my wood storage turntable, they are then covered with some grey black kind of whispy material I found thrown out up the mountain one time, so they don't stand out much against the black back drop.
The stage pallets under my part are about 4x6 foot and there are six of them. The promontary is 3x6 I think.
During the ceremony three school kids come up and light the three little memorial candles, which represent the three nationalities of blokes killed in making the dam. Chinese, Japanese and Korean. The majority of the deaths occured when a typhoon struck in 1944 while the footings were still pretty weak, although they do tell of blokes falling in the concrete and not being hauled out. Gruesome, but plausible given the nature of the human animal.