Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Drums in the deep

On Thursday last week I went along to the school to see some African drummers who were putting on a little show. I don't really know why, but there was some connection between them and a boy who was at the school for a brief stay. I think the connection was his mother who did one session of dancing during the performance. It was fun and we all had a bit of a dance about when one of the drummers gave us a little instruction on what to do. I had to rush off to the station to pick someone up, so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone after the performance.
Now today one of the organizers has told me the boy's mother died a couple of days later having suffered a heart attack while doing another performance on Mount Fuji. Sometimes it is hard to keep a grip. Things can just flip into catastrophe without a moments hesitation. Perhaps in the days to come I will hear more about what happened and how, but there is never going to be a satisfactory answer "Why".
I will do my best to use this new first of the month to gain some traction here.