Friday, January 21, 2011

Fishtank mailbox

The fish tank conversion is drawing toward completion, as usual the initial cut and thrust of construction makes it seem like the task will be over quickly, but the details and finishing take more time to do than all the structural elements. The box will be mounted on the wall, so the lid can not protrude backward when opened. That meant making a couple of small angled scissor hinges, even mounting the wood panel on top took a bit of jiggery pokery welding nuts on the steel and bolting the panel up in there from the underside. I am beginning to like the stainless steel and wood combination more than I thought I would. It reminds me of some of the German Art Nouveau items I have seen in pictures. Nevertheless, the door ironwork is black so I will go ahead with the initial more Japanese color plan to blend in with that. I must consult the client as to their choice of signage on the thing, I suppose they might want a flap on it too, but I am happy without that. I do have one of the little flowers I made for the door windows left over, so I may attach that to the center of the lid as a little decoration. We'll see.