Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dead weight

I popped out to do some shopping this morning, a little cement, a new saw chain for the chainsaw, that kind of thing. Lovely to see the leaves turning, not so lovely to see the parking spaces for the disabled filled by people chatting as they stroll with able bodies into the shop. None of the alternatives of didn't notice, don't care or private logic routines of justification are attractive. It doesn't matter really, but those features are not what I want to see in my fellow humans.
Back at the ranch my post lunch activity was directed towards the brick oven again, putting in a heavy stone as a kind of hearth or shelf in front of it. I drilled holes for pins and metal reinforcing, then I will make some shuttering and put in a cement block under it as a support poking out of the wall for it to rest on. Just about to rest it on some iron pins here to see how it fits.
Charcoal on cartridge 29x42cm