Sunday, November 19, 2006

Vacation

I find myself in need of a vacation today. I don't recall feeling stressed, but I suspect I may have devoted some nervous energy to supporting my son in his efforts. This sculpture is swimming in the ether above our wood stove, the chimney of which is the pole like item on the left. These objects I make are a little bit like children, the ones that I have sent out into the world to fend for themselves are always a pleasure to see after a long separation as they almost seem to change over time. This one has never been away for long. The carving isn't in eyeshot most of the time, but sometimes when my brain needs a rest it swims into view and is a comfort to me. I can't say that every home should have one, but I'm glad mine does.
Carving from cypress root approx 100x140cm