Thursday, November 02, 2006

I bought this fly press
back in the summer for fifty quid (10,000yen). It is actually a lot bigger than this I guess with the top wheel about five foot across, but you can get an idea of the gubbins from this. You yank the wheel clockwise and it acts on a big threaded rod that punches down on a big dovetailed hammer thing that slides up and down. I made a tool holder for that and I am using it here to texture the edges of some angle iron for curved table legs. Putting the texture along the edge also puts a curve into the iron as the edges are stretched a bit by being compressed. The only difficult part is keeping control of the work with one hand while putting in a lot of effort with the other. I have my left elbow rested on my knee here so that helps, each blow is only a tiny space apart. The best thing about these presses is that it is quiet work, there is no banging, just a satisfying umph and an irritated squeak from the iron as it gives in and spreads out. The press is so strong most of the time you don't need to have the iron hot to do what you want, but it does need anealing if you do too much work on it.