Thursday, November 23, 2006

Wood chuck

One of our local absentee landlords cut down a load of cedar trees a couple of years ago and some of them are quite near the road, so we went to chop up some of the felled logs. I was on the chainsaw and the young un was chucking the stuff down the path towards the truck and then loading up. I hit a carefully concealed rock with the chainsaw so I am being paranoid in the background after resharpening it, checking there aren't any more. Of course there weren't and the horse that bolted is somewhere out in the woods. The wood turned out to be soaking wet as I suspected, but we have it stacked now, so it will be burnable some day. The trouble with cedar from our valley is that it is so fast growing there is nothing to it. It is fine when dry, but it won't make its own charcoal in the stove, so you have to burn it with something that will if it is wet or it is like trying to burn a wet bath sponge. I have a date at the woodyard to buy some timber tomorrow, so I hope to pick up something more combustible then.
Charcoal on cartridge 29x42cm