Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Done pulling

Pulling nails from the last few 2x8 and 2x6 pieces I picked from the skip was all the manual work I had time for today. I had my winter padded overalls on despite the mild weather. There were two clumps of frog spawn in the pond today, so spring is approaching in the opinion of the amphibian. The spring water is still very chilly to the touch, so the little black motes of life will be needing all the solar power they can get in the next few days.
Last week I bought my first ever workmate clone. Everybody has their price and I succumbed at 980 yen. (less than a fiver). It is a handy height for these kind of jobs that I usually do on a couple of beer crates, and it folds up easily, but it is not particularly sturdy looking.
Now I will have to think of a use for all the bent and broken stainless steel nails I pulled. Stainless always seems such a marvel with all the organic matter of wood rotting away around it. I can imagine they might be fun to weld into something sculptural, but perhaps I should weld them onto the workmate and see if that will make it more solid.
Gouache washes and charcoal on Cartridge paper 35x25cm