Monday, February 26, 2007

Tenon cutter

Another of the bell and whistle machines. This has one motor that whizzes round four blades to cut a tenon with one stroke. Two big ones that cut the cheaks and the two on a plane at the front to cut the shoulders. The work is held in a vice that can slide left to right and back and forth. The wheel at the bottom controls the left and right motion and there is another wheel on the opposite side that operates the vice which automatically centers the wood each time. My left hand is on the lever that slides the vice back and forth to hold it steady while the right pushes down on a lever to slide all the blades down into the wood.
I only had to do eight tenons, but I have my protective stuff on here, which is much to be recommended. Dust mask and ear protectors. I had the dust mask on when doing the chain cutting the other day, but forgot that for the drawing, I also neglected to do for the ears and paid the price noticing a nasty ringing later on.
This machine was inherited from a local carpenter when he stopped doing comercial work and sent it back to the shop where he had bought it for disposal. He came round the next day and mentioned he had chucked it having found me not at home the day before. This was too tragic a missed oportunity, so I went round to the shop and they still had it on their truck ready to be dissected. Saved from destruction it only needed a bit of lubrication and some welding to get it back up to scratch. It sits in the corner a lot, but when it comes out it really saves me a lot of slogging work and marking up time.
Charcoal on cartridge 38x53cm