Saturday, February 17, 2007

Filler upper

A regular winter pastime. Filling the stove. Just as it was getting dark a chap from a little further down the road dropped by with a load of wood from a tree felling he had done. I couldn't resist just poping a bit of the new stuff in this evening just before I was due to start drawing. So the scene is recorded while fresh in my mind.
The first stove we had was a horizontal type thing like box and it was always a challenge to get it filled up. This one with a body made from an old compressor tank is a lot less trouble. I made the little round lid in the plate at the top without thinking too much about it, but it makes it really simple to pop in a load of wood, you just drop it in and try to get it sitting at odd angles to let the air flow around it. Even with this green hardwood, it burns very nicely with the wood at the bottom getting a lot of heat from the charcoal and drying out the wood stacked on top that then burns down to form new charcoal. I just have a straight chimney, so a few taps on that is usually enough to knock the tar off so that it falls back into the fire.
I spent most of the day on drawings for projects and looking for hints on building with scaffolding pipe. It is one of the few times I have been dissapointed by the Internet as a source of information.
Charcoal on cartridge 38x53cm