Friday, April 20, 2007

Bread and Brontes

The table top has been sitting in front of the house drying for a while and was a lot lighter, so I got sammy to help me carry it down to the shop. I had to see the two bits together to make sure it will be OK. It doesn't look too bad, so I will be glueing up soon if there are no more cuts to be made on the bandsaw.
I had some mental doodling while chiseling that I wrote out in word to paste in, so drawing time slipped by again.

I once heard someone talking on the wireless about the Bronte sisters, or at least something to do with the world they lived in. I somehow got it wiggled around in my head and started to relate it to kitchens. The theory was that back then each household might be run on very different lines as there was no media version of things to become universal and in rural areas people lived far enough apart that even a fairly miserable existence such as that of the sisters (due to some parental issues) was all they knew and so not entirely horrible to them. I think the same remained true for a long time. I was not so interested in all the “issues” that were on the table, but the many ways people do things differently.

Even when I was young I remember being really surprised at the way my Grandmother cut bread. She would hold the loaf up to her chest, butter the cut end and then, holding it even tighter to her, slice off the buttered end to go on the plate. How she came to this method I don’t know. But I haven’t seen it since. Now I think of it there was another butter related incident in my late teens when I was eating toast with someone and they cleaned the knife of some condiment by stabbing it horizontally into the edge their slice of toast. This was highly efficient as it cleaned both sides at once, but I could never get used to it having always scraped the knife on the edge of the slice one side at a time.

I only go into these things as it is gradually becoming my hope that the blog aspect of the Internet may bring about some dilution or diversificaion of the “media version” I mentioned earlier. The bad may be seen for what it is and the good become more widely known. There must be an infinite number of ways to “run your household”, but even though there are many millions of people in the world each with their own take on things, we each only really pick up the ways of those around us when we are young, so seeing something of the ways of many others through this media that does not deliver things up as ready made products might well be a positive thing at any time of life..

Well, if I write more I will inevitably drift from whatever minute point I had in the first place, so there we go.