Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Guns and boxes


I popped the press handles on and did some final shaving on the table leg joints ready to glue them tomorrow. A friend asked me misses about a box I had made her for her glasses, so I made up a rough shape for a similar unit to be handed over next time they meet. I sliced up one of the many hunks of driftwood I have laid aside for this type of project into a lid and box sized lump. Then stuck a plywood template onto the face with double sided tape and routed out the box core and a dovetail rebate around the rim. Then sawed a dovetail rim around the lid and sanded that to final size. I make the lid too long and then hold the end in the vice to drive the lid in and out of its groove for a nice fit. That done I am ready to cut the lid to length and sand up the final shapely form.
Meanwhile someone else was busy shooting.
This record or even creative stuff in general often starts to seem like vanity or stupidity , but when I listen to the news I begin to see the antidote quality of this activity clearly again. And the military industrial complex also falls briefly into focus as a self perpetuating nonsense of weaponry. I wish all potential gunmen the will power to go straight to the suicide phase, or indead the miraculous ability to set their lives to a better purpose and start from nought with no thought of praise or reward.
Charcoal on cartridge.