Tuesday, July 03, 2007

cucumbers


My main activity today was getting the truck emptied of all the stuff from yesterday. So, no progress on other work. It is slightly melancholy to have all the stuff made for the restaurant back here. Interesting in some ways to see how my work methods have changed.
Today I also got my first cucumber off one of the three plants in the field, sliced into salad for lunch. In Japan cucumbers are a lot smaller than the full blown things I remember from the salads of my youth in blighty. Here they don't ever go much past 25cm or so long and about 2.5 cm in diameter. There were quite a few up and coming on the vine as well as lots of flowers. I have them growing up some steel mesh I bought to reinforce concrete but didn't get round to using.
I also noticed that something had dug up one of my late calla lillies, but just left it neatly by the hole without even knocking many of the roots off. The diggings were pretty small, so I am guessing it was a palm civet or a badger. Lot's of fireflies out this evening, as well as a healthy chorus of tree frogs.